Peach Crisp…An Answer to the Question “What am I going to do with all of these peaches?”
It’s fresh fruit season! That’s heaven for our taste buds and a real plus from a nutrition standpoint. There are fresh fruit stands at every farmers market, and locally our peach and apricot trees are full of fresh fruit. When there’s an over-abundance of fruit, one of the best ways to use it up is to create something yummy like a crisp. Today’s peach crisp answered the question for me, and turned out to be a complete success!!
Give this recipe a try. I think your taste buds (and your family) will be as amazed as mine!!
Happy, healthy Monday from you friends at Elevate Sports Performance and Chiropractic.
Gluten-Free Peach Crisp
Prep time 20 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
2 ¼ pounds ripe peaches, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 to 6 peaches)
1/3 cup honey
2 TBLSP arrowroot starch or corn starch
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Crisp Topping –
1 cup old-fashioned oats (certified gluten free if necessary)
½ cup almond meal or almond flour, lightly packed
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup packed coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
4 TBLSP butter, melted
3 to 4 TBLSP plain yogurt (regular or greek)
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• To prepare the filling: in a 9 x 9 baking dish, mix together the sliced peaches, honey, arrowroot starch or cornstarch, vanilla and cinnamon.
• To prepare the topping: In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the oats, almond meal, sliced almonds, coconut sugar, ginger and salt. Mix in the melted butter and yogurt. Stir until the mixture is moistened throughout, adding up to 1 TBLSP of yogurt if it seems too dry.
• Dollop spoonfuls of the oat mixture over the filling and use your fingers to break up the mixture until it is evenly distributed (no need to pack it down).
• Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the filling bubbles around the edges and the top is slightly golden.
• Let the crisp rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or plain yogurt.
Thanks To cookieandkate.com for this amazing recipe.