Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps…They passed the hungry sailor test!
There’s nothing better than when my adult kids come home. When these 3 guys were growing up, I was definitely NOT known for my cooking skills. The detonation of the smoke alarm indicated that dinner was ready. (No, really. Just ask any one of my sons!)
Last week my “baby”….the 6’5” Navy sailor…came home for a visit before shipping out. I served these turkey taco lettuce wraps. They were a huge hit. At one point he loving asked “Who are you and what have you done with my real mom?” (Like I said, I was never known for my cooking skills when my kids were growing up.)
This recipe serves 4.
One serving is 2 lettuce wraps. (Heads up – hungry sailors eat more than that!)
Not including adding cheese as a topping, there are 30 grams of protein per serving – that’s a nutritional homerun. The total preparation time is 45 minutes, but this can easily be prepared a day or two before!
This recipe meets all of my criteria for Elevate’s 52 Mondays of recipes – simple preparations, basic ingredients, and easily batchable. I use “living lettuce” or butter lettuce because it seems to hold up better than either romaine or iceberg, and has a really good flavor. You could also use this as a filling for a wrap!
Experiment. Finds what works for you!
Happy, healthy Monday from your Elevate family!
• 1.3 lbs 99% lean ground turkey
• 1 tsp garlic
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp salt (optional)
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• ½ tsp oregano
• ½ small onion, minced
• 2 TBLSP sweet bell pepper, minced (any color will do!)
• ¾ cup water
• 4 oz no salt added tomato sauce
• 8 large lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried (iceberg, butter or “living” lettuce)
• ½ cup shredded reduced fat cheddar (omit cheese if you’re following the whole 30 diet)
• Brown ground turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cools
• When no longer pink, add dry seasoning and mix well
• Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce, and cover. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes
• Rinse and dry lettuce leaves
• Divide the meat evenly between the 8 leaves and place in the center of each leaf.
• Top with your favorite taco toppings (shredded cheddar cheese, fat free plain greek yogurt, fresh avocado, chopped black olives).
Total time 45 minutes
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
Thanks to skinnytaste.com for this wonderful recipe!