Best Breakfast Ever in Five Minutes…with a Gluten Free option!
(Nope, this is not an April Fools Joke)
Restaurants everywhere are serving avocado toast as a main menu healthy offering, or as small plate servings. It has earned the reputation of a fun, trendy comfort food - a dish we know is both, tasty and nutritionally sound. (And the chef loves it because it takes literally 5 minutes to prepare.)
Why not make it at home? Although this recipe is billed as “breakfast” it’s a fabulous option for dinner also. Four nights a week I work late and don’t get a chance for dinner until 7:00, sometimes 8:00. That’s too late to eat a full-on meal, so this avocado and egg toast recipe is an easy go-to for me about once a week, sometimes for breakfast but usually dinner.
There are some things I’m pretty good at, but my kitchen skills are definitely iffy, so I scramble the eggs instead of frying or poaching them – it’s hard to screw up scrambled eggs!
The eggs deliver protein and micronutrients like choline, B vitamins, and vitamin D. The avocados provide potassium, fiber, heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and folate. The combination of fiber, protein and healthy fat is filling, satisfying and provides lots of nutrition to start your day. Each serving (the recipe serves 1) provides about** 12 g of protein, with only 260 calories.
All in just 5 minutes.
5-minute avocado and egg toast
• 1 slice of whole grain sourdough bread*
• ½ small avocado
• 1 large egg
• 1 TBLSP milk (optional)
• Olive oil spray
• 1 TBLSP green onions, chopped (optional)
• Salt and Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
• Toast sourdough bread in the toaster or in a small skillet over medium heat.
• Smash avocado with a fork. Spread over toast.
• Whisk together egg (and milk). Spray oil in a small nonstick skillet and heat over low heat. Pour whisked egg into the pan and cook, stirring with a spatula until set.
• Place scrambled egg on top of avocado and sprinkle with green onion, salt and pepper.
*Use gluten free bread if necessary
**Exact nutritional values will vary according to the type/size of bread slice and the size of the avocado.
Round out the meal with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, or sliced strawberries, berries or sliced apples.