Turkey Sloppy Joes - (Another Mom classic)
Welcome to week 3 of recipes from mom’s recipe drawer! I think I know why this dish made a regular appearance at our house when I was a kid. My mom raised 7 kids, (I’m number 6) and every night there would be at least 10 mouths to feed. (Always factor in a grandparent or random neighbor kid!) We lived way out in the country in Minnesota and and had enormous gardens where we grew all of our own vegetables. Yes, really. Adding vegetables to almost everything was a healthy, inexpensive way for my mom to stretch a recipe. Where was this recipe when I was a mom with 3 growing boys that had bottomless pits for stomachs??
This might be the most versatile recipe I have ever met. It definitely meets all of the qualifications of an Elevate recipe - easily doubled, use simple ingredients, and provide a healthy dose of protein, fiber and vegetables. This one checks off all of the boxes!
“Meal versatile” is another way I would describe this recipe.
As a breakfast, serve it over scrambled eggs and sprinkle it with your favorite shredded cheese.
Lunchtime? Pack it in a microwaveable container, add a 100% whole wheat bun/ roll or sandwich thin and a banana, take it to work or school and call it lunch. Dinner? Serve it over a generous bed of greens and sprinkle it with cheese. There’s really no end to the possibilities with this easy recipe.
Have fun creating your own version by adding a variety of vegetables, some black beans or edamame (out of the pod!) or mix in 1 cup of cooked quinoa. This will increase the power of its protein punch even more, as well as its all around nutritional value.
Be sure to make a double batch so you can freeze some to have on hand for those days when meal planning fails to happen!
Let’s get started!
• 1 small onion finely diced
• 2 ribs celery
• 1 small red bell pepper, diced
• 2 medium carrots, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 medium sized zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup)
• 1 lb ground turkey breast
• 1 TBLSP Worcestershire sauce
• 1 – 8 oz can tomato sauce
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tsp chili powder
• A pinch of cayenne pepper
• Brown ground turkey breast in a skillet. Drain if necessary. Set aside.
• In a large skillet or pot, heat the oil and sauté the onion, celery, pepper, carrots and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
• Add browned ground turkey, shredded zucchini, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper to sautéed vegetables. Stir over medium heat.
• Reduce heat to medium low, cook for 10-15 minutes.
Serve it “sloppy joe style” on a 100% whole wheat bun or sandwich thin, on a generous bed of greens, or over scrambled eggs. Top with shredded cheese.
Have a happy and healthy week from all of us at Elevate Sports Performance and Chiropractic!