Grilled Curried Chicken (Sandwich?) with Yogurt Sauce
Chicken continues to be my all time favorite, versatile source of lean protein weighing in at 35 grams per 4 oz serving, with just 4 grams of fat. Today’s curried chicken recipe exceeds my requirements of simple, easy to follow, few ingredients, whole real food, and batchable. The original recipe was in a mailer from Smiths Grocery Store, showcasing their Private Selection line of foods. In this case, chicken. But here’s the deal – the chicken they used in the recipe was pre-seasoned (think high sodium) and more processed than just a plain chicken breast would be. I prefer to stick with foods that have little to no experience in a food processing system, and that have not been injected with additional sodium solutions for added flavor! I substituted their Private Selection chicken breasts for regular chicken breasts, and was amazed. The flavor created by this combination of seasonings will leave you wanting to prepare this as a main course again and again! Simple, easy to follow, healthy, batchable. Need I say more? Let’s get started!
It takes about 30 minutes to complete from start to finish, including grill time, and serves 4.
INGREDIENTS for chicken:
• 2 tsp each of curry powder and cumin
• 1 tsp each of fresh ginger, turmeric, onion powder and cayenne pepper (less cayenne pepper if you’re not a fan of spicy foods.)
• 3 TBLSP olive oil
• 4 chicken breasts
INGREDIENTS for sauce:
• 1 clove of garlic, minced
• ½ cup chopped cilantro, divided
• ¼ cup each of ground coriander and cumin
• 1 Cup plain yogurt (I used fat free greek yogurt)
• Salt & pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE:
• 4 pieces of naan*
• 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• Heat the grill to medium high.
• In a large bowl, combine curry powder, cumin, ginger, turmeric, onion powder, cayenne pepper, olive oil and white wine vinegar.
• Add chicken breasts and coat both sides. Let sit for 5 minutes to marinade.**
• While the chicken is marinading, in a medium bowl, mix the garlic, ¼ cup of the cilantro, mint, green onion, coriander, cumin, yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill yogurt sauce in the refrigerator.
• Place chicken on the grill, and cook for 5 minutes per side, or to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from grill, cover with foil and let sit for 5 minutes. Slice chicken into ¼-inch strips.
• On the grill, toast naan on both sides. Remove from the grill and generously dollop (don’t you love that word?!?!) with yogurt sauce. Add sliced chicken, tomato slice(s), onion slice(s) and remaining cilantro.
• Fold naan in half and serve.
*You can use a whole wheat naan, sprouted tortillas, or soft-style foldable whole wheat flat breads. I used a tortilla called “Flatzza” made from sprouted whole grains. Mmmmm!!!!
**I mixed the marinade in a 1 gallon zip-lock bag, then added the chicken breasts. Zip the bag and you can “play” with the marinade and chicken until the chicken is thoroughly coated. Then let it rest right in the bag until you’re ready for the grill.
Besides making this as a sandwich, experiment with chicken by serving it on a large bed of greens with a colorful variety of chopped vegetables. However you decide to serve it, I think you’re going to enjoy the wonderful blend of seasonings this dish has! SO. MUCH. FLAVOR!!!!!
From Zoe and the entire staff at Elevate Sports Performance and Chiropractic, we wish you a happy and healthy week ahead!