HEALTHY QUINOA STUFFED CHICKEN ROULADES
“Roulade”….such a fancy word! Roll that around in your mouth for awhile! It’s from the French word “rouler” which means “to roll.”
Bonjour!! Here we are again, another Monday, another recipe! I’m pretty basic when it comes to the foods I prepare for my family and friends. You, my Elevate family and friends will never have to worry that I’ll throw something complicated or fancy at you. Today’s recipe is as close to fancy as we’ll get, and we’re getting fancy with these stuffed chicken roll-ups. They still meet all of my recipe requirements: basic, simple ingredients, batchable, easy to make ahead and take as leftovers for lunch tomorrow. (You can call them “roulades” but don’t be surprised if your friend laugh a little!)
An added bonus of this recipe is that it’s heart-burn friendly. So, if you’re prone to heartburn, this meal is for you. You get the citrus flavoring from the lemon zest without the fear of heartburn that comes from using orange or lemon juice. Bonus! Plus, your whole grains and veggies are wrapped right into the main course!
As is, the recipe serves 4 people, but can be easily doubled! Per serving, it delivers 112 calories, 3 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbs and 15 grams of high quality protein. A nutritional bulls-eye!
Let’s get started –
• 2 TBLSP quinoa, dry
• ½ medium carrot, julienned
• ¼ cup broccoli stalks, julienned*
• 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼” thickness.**
• Olive oil spray
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp oregano, dry
• ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
• 2 TBLSP feta cheese, crumbled
• 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (you can also use Parmesan, Asiago , Romano, or a combination of these three) ***
*Substitute asparagus for the broccoli, using 2 spears per chicken breast.
**To pound out chicken breast, use a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin. Simply place the chicken breast in a plastic bag or between two sheets of clear plastic wrap and pound it to the desired thickness. Make sure to pound evenly throughout, to no less than ¼” thickness.
***This was my own addition to the recipe. I sprinkled the cheese on just before the final baking process. Remember that this WILL increase both the total calories and fat!
• Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
• Steam the julienned carrots and broccoli stalks until slightly tender.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Lay (pounded) chicken breast flat on a lined baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil (or nonstick cooking spray) and rub with salt, on both sides.
• Divide the vegetables, oregano, and quinoa between the chicken breasts, along with the spinach, lemon zest, and feta cheese. Spoon everything onto the middle, keeping the filling away from the edges, then begin to roll from one end of the breast until you end up with a full roll. Tie with kitchen twine/string or insert toothpicks on either end to keep closed.
• Transfer the chicken rolls to a small heated pan, cooking until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
• Transfer the rolls back to the baking sheet and continue cooking in the oven until the breasts are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
• Let the chicken cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serve with a salad of dark leafy greens!
Bon appetit friends, from Zoe (the Nutrition Consultant) and the staff at Elevate Sports Performance & Chiropractic.
Thanks to Leyla Shamayeva at verywellfit.com for this recipe.