ONE-PAN ROASTED CHICKEN AND PEARS
I have to be honest – I’m not much of a chef, or a cook or whatever you might call the person who creates meals! I did a pretty good job of coming up with healthy affordable meals when my 3 boys were growing up (with the exception of ice cream bucket stew) but once they left home, the kitchen pretty much shut down. In my search for what I consider a lazy recipe, I’ve dug up some pretty easy ones with good flavor and high nutritional value. This one-pan chicken recipe blew me away with the flavor the pears provide!
Pears, butternut squash and Brussels sprouts are all nutritionally loaded fall vegetables, so this is the perfect recipe for a chilly fall night. All 3 are extremely low fat, with Brussels sprouts being a great source of potassium, and vitamin C, and butternut squash supplying 14% of your daily potassium, 297% of your daily Vitamin A, and 48% of your vitamin C. Bosc pears are a fabulous low fat, high fiber fall fruit. Although they aren’t the nutritional jackpot that butternut squash and Brussels sprouts are, they do supply small amounts of vitamin C, calcium and potassium.
It’s easy to prep this dinner in the morning before starting your day, or the night before. Either way, cover it with tin foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake. Uncover before baking. The cook time is 30-35 minutes, so just pop it into the oven when you get home, and you’ll be dinner ready in no time!
• 1 TBLSP honey
• 1 TBLSP olive oil
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, washed, ends trimmed, and halved
• 12 oz butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2.5 cups)
• 2 ripe Bosc pears, peeled, sliced in half and cored *Tip - Peeled pears are Slippery. Hold with a paper towel while peeling.
• ¾ tsp kosher salt, divided
• ½ tsp cracked black pepper, divided
• 1 TBLSP chopped, fresh rosemary
• 4 (@ 5 oz) skin-on chicken thighs (I used 20 oz of boneless skinless chicken breasts)
• Preheat over to 425 degrees.
• Lightly grease the bottom of a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
• Place the Brussels sprouts, squash and pears on the rimmed baking sheet, and brush with honey mixture. Stir well to coat evenly.
• Combine ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp cracked black pepper and rosemary in a small bowl.
• Pat the chicken thighs/breasts until dry and rub the seasoning over both sides. Place chicken in the center of the baking sheet and sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the pears and vegetables.
• Place in the oven and roast, stirring the pears and vegetables occasionally, until they’re tender and the chicken is cooked through. About 30-35 minutes.
Serves 4 – Each serving = 1 chicken thigh/breast + 1 pear ½ + 1 cup vegetables
Thanks to the My fitness Pal blog for this great recipe!