Tis the season to ignore our bodies for a couple of weeks. But we here at Elevate want to encourage you to do at least some maintenance to fight off the soreness and stiffness that come with holiday stress, traveling and spending too much time not moving.
It is important to move your major joints through full ranges of motion at LEAST once daily. Below are some exercises we use when warming up our clients. The entire routine requires no equipment, so they can be done in a hotel room or living room while you’re watching football, and it only takes 15 minutes. Think of it as warming up the body to take on the holidays.
- Cat-Cow—20 seconds in each movement (hip forward backward, hip side to side, upper back forward backward, upper back side to side)
- Bird Dog or Low Bear—10 to 15 reps with a 2-second hold on each side
- Qped squat—1 to 1 1/2 mins opening the hips
- Qped CARs—3 reps on each side both clockwise and counterclockwise
- Rainbow Openbook—5 to 8 reps each side
- Qped Shoulder Flexion hold—8 reps with 2-second holds each side
- Plank to squat—5 total reps
- Pry Squat—2 rounds of 20 seconds
- Spiderman w/rotations—5 reps each side
- Single leg balance w/reach—10 reps each leg
While you’re at it, if you have family members in town or you are visiting them, get them to join you in this routine. Here’s to family, health, and fitness during the holidays!
All the best,
Dr. Buth and the Elevate Sports Performance & Chiropractic Team
PS: If you have any questions we are happy to help, give us a call. 702.558.2151